July 22, 2010

Garlic Soba Noodles

I'm learning that a big bowl of Asian noodles is my verison of comfort. Hard day at work? Pad Thai or sushi or these noodles are what I crave. Strong flavors, quick, easy, sometimes healthy.



I whipped these together when I had a friend come over for girl's night. I had just gotten back from one of the many business trips that have kept me from posting more regularly here, and had very few things left in my fridge. Some yellowing scallions, wilting chard and pantry staples came together in 15 minutes to feed us both before heading off to see Sex and the City 2. Guess which was the winner of the night.

When I'm looking for a fast, easy, clean out the fridge type of meal, I usually go the Asian route. Ingredients I always have on hand- soy sauce, sesame oil, limes, garlic, soba noodles make it easy. The techniques usually involve stir-frying, high heat and short cook time. Perfect.


Garlic Soba Noodles
Inspired by Heidi Swanson, of the blog 101 Cookbooks
Serves 3-4

1 bunch buckwheat soba noodles
1 bunch greens- I've used Swiss chard, rainbow chard, arugula, spinach
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-4 green onions, thinly sliced
1-2 tbl soy sauce
1 tbl sesame oil
juice of 1 lime


1. Cook soba noodles according to directions, rinse and set aside. Wash, dry and slice greens into 1/4 to 1/2 inch ribbons.

2. Heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When hot, add minced garlic and thinly sliced green onions. Sautee for about a minute, until fragrant.

3. Stir in greens, and sautee for 2-4 minutes, until mostly wilted and bright green. They will mound over the top of the pan, but will wilt down quite a bit.

4. Add in soba noodles and soy sauce to taste, drizzle with sesame oil and pull off heat. Add lime juice, stir and serve.

These are great both hot and cold, and work very well as lunch leftovers. 

0 comments: