October 19, 2010

Pan-Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Apples

I have found the first dish I am putting on my future restaurant menu.


Pan-Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Apples with Dijon.

I am not a fan of people apologizing for leaving their blogs to lie fallow for a while, it just points out how long they really were gone. At the same time, there have been good reasons that have kept us away- one of us got a brand spankin new job, that is not only exciting but incredibly time consuming (which I fully support). We also both began training in serious for the Thanksgiving Half Marathon, which functions as the best excuse ever to go crazy on Thanksgiving, and also very time consuming. Thirdly, I haven't been cooking as often, as a result of lots of social and work events, and therefore in a type of writer's block.

Forgive my terrible picture, but it was hot and I was hungry; also please ignore the trout with brown butter and capers. The sweet apples and the caramelly brussel sprouts with the tang of Dijon and some shallot for balance; I could make an entire meal of it. Nic and I are huge fans of brussel sprouts; roasted only please. As fall hits Atlanta (please drop below 75), expect more brussels, along with lots of leeks, butternut squash, roasted meats and pumpkin. This recipe is another method, rather than set amounts- give yourself equal parts of brussels and apples to feed as many people as you have, then add shallots and Dijon accordingly.


Pan-Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Apples
Makes as many as you like- adjust as needed

Shallots
Brussel Sprouts
Apples
Dijon

1.   For this recipe, you can't really go wrong with proportions. Start with the number of people you're feeding. I shredded equal amounts of brussel sprouts and apples, just cut into roughly 1/4 in matchsticks.

2. Then I finely diced about a quarter of the amount of shallots- you can up this to about 1/3, or even use regular onion but be sure to cook a bit more.

3. Heat some olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallot, sautee for about 30 sec to a min, until it smells delicious.

4. Still over medium high heat, add apples and brussel sprouts. Its basically a stir-fry, you want the ingredients to caramelize and brown well. Move things about with a spatula, it took me about 5 minutes.

5. Stir in a small spoonful of Dijon when everything is cooked through. Just enough to meld the flavors.
 

0 comments: