November 3, 2010

Olive Oil Granola


I have nothing to say other than its taken me a year to make this granola from the New York Times and since I finally made it, it has done nothing but make me feel like a fool for waiting so long. A million other food bloggers couldn't convince me, what could?

Who knows. But I finally did, and dang bring on the olive oil. The salt here is crucial, go for the whole teaspoon. It brings everything into balance, and oh my doesn't that fit the theme on this blog? We're working on it.


Olive Oil Granola
Makes about 9 cups


3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raw pecans, hulled
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
1 cup coconut chips
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
3/4 cup dried fruit- apricots are recommended



1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.
2. Transfer granola to a large bowl, and if you choose to add dried fruit, now is the time and toss to combine.

0 comments: