December 20, 2009

Candied Pecans

Part of the Treat Box series, here is another element of what I sent some friends for Christmas.  They sent me to Martha rehab. Thanks guys!

Ahh candied pecans.  My favorite part of the treat boxes, I pulled you out of your frosty resting place to fill up more cellophane bags before shipping off to the far parts of the globe.  And also because I was running around like a mad woman to get to the post office before it closed, and you were already made.  Thanks pecans.

These pecans were born from Nic's desire for the guests of her wedding to have something to nibble on while she and Mr. J skipped down the aisle. Just like popcorn, only more sophisticated and lower volume chewing. In the long, long list of wedding planning these pecans were on quite low on the totem pole. So two days before said nuptials, my mom and Mr. J's mom whipped these out while I fought with my poor sewing skills over making boutineers.  Yes Nic had throughly lost her mind at this point, telling me that I needed to sew slower to create round curves in the leaves.  She was also AT WORK  mind you, a world away for the insane aslyum that became my house in the days before

But as MOH (maid of honor) and her sister dedicated to ensuring they have a perfect day, I did my best.  And went to a florist.  Like a sane person.  Then two days later, we all had the most perfect day welcoming the next step of two lives that are very important to me.  And I got a third ingredient in treat boxes.

Score.

Candied Pecans

1  egg white
4  cups  pecan halves (about 1 lb.)
1/3  cup  granulated sugar
1/3  cup  firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
1/4  teaspoon  cayenne pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Whisk egg white until foamy; add sugar and spices, and whisk until evenly distributed.
3. Add pecans and stir gently until pecans are evenly coated. Spread pecans in a single layer in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined cookies sheet.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until pecans are toasted and dry, stirring once after 10 minutes. 


Store pecans in a zip-top plastic freezer bag at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 weeks/forever.


0 comments: