August 30, 2010

Whole Grain Blueberry Pancakes


I had written on of my best blog posts for this recipe, come back to edit it, and lost it all to the wilds of the Internet. 

Now I'm sitting here, trying to figure out what to do. I might be able to remember it all, but it won't be as good. It was heartfelt, telling the story of my dear friend whose family lost everything in a fire a few weeks ago. It talked about my memories of the house, the 1,000 Christmas cookies we baked one year (at once an awesome show of Christmas spirit, and horrifying event) and how the material possessions are gone but the memories will always remain. Blueberry pancakes are her favorite, and the last thing we ate in her house together.

At first when I saw the post was gone, I was angry- the words had flowed easily, the post was neatly wrapped up in four paragraphs. I've never had a strong creative streak for one thing or another, but when I realized I regretted losing this one, I realized how what this blog means to me. It combines my love of cooking and experimenting with the reason I do it- to share with people. And, FINE Internet, life or whatever caused me to loose this, lesson learned . Sometimes the memories are the most dear- so make them count.

I do remember the most important line however: I will make these for her in my house, and hold her hand to let her know that memories remain and she is loved. 


Whole Grain Blueberry Pancakes
Serves 6

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour 

2 tablespoons ground flax seed- optional
1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 tablespoons butter, melted (melt in the pan skillet you are going to use)


1. Combine the flour, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.

2. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir all the ingredients until they are just combined. Batter will be lumpy, you don't want to over mix.

3. Heat the skillet to medium-hot and brush it with a bit of butter. Temperature is very important here- too hot and they will burn, too cold and they won't look right.

4. Pour about 1/3 of a cup of batter into the skillet. Sprinkle a handful of blueberries over the top- don't add to the batter as they will break up and turn it grey.

5. Wait until bubbles start to form around the edges and the center of the pancake, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.

0 comments: